November was a relatively busy month in the employee benefits world. The U.S. Supreme Court (Supreme Court) heard oral arguments in the case of California v. Texas, which is the case challenging the constitutionality of the ACA.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) released the updated Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) fee for plan years that end on or after October 1, 2020, and before October 1, 2021.
The Department of Labor (DOL) released a final rule on financial factors in selecting plan investments that imposes requirements on ERISA plan fiduciaries under their duties of loyalty and general prudence. The IRS released an information letter on the relief available under IRS Notice 2020-29 as it applies to dependent care flexible spending arrangements (DCAPs). The IRS also released an information letter on unused qualified transportation benefits due to COVID-19.
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) released an annual report to Congress on Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance for 2018. The IRS issued updated frequently asked questions (FAQs) on qualified health plan expenses for purposes of calculating an employer’s tax credits when providing paid leave under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA). HHS released two drug pricing rules regarding Medicare drug pricing.
UBA released new advisors:
- Qualified Small Employer Health Reimbursement Arrangements FAQ
- The U.S. Supreme Court and the Future of the Affordable Care Act, Part 2
- Final Rules on Coverage Transparency, Part 1
- Final Rules on Coverage Transparency, Public Disclosure of Negotiated Rates
- Final Rules on Coverage Transparency, Part 2 - Public Disclosure of Negotiated Rates
- 2021 Compliance Calendar
- Proposed 2022 Benefit Payment and Parameters Rule
UBA updated, refreshed, or revised existing guidance:
- What You Need to Know about Health Flexible Spending Accounts
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Patient-Centered Outcomes/Comparative Effectiveness (PCORI) Fee
- Highlights of the Patient-Centered Outcomes (PCORI) / Comparative Effectiveness Fee
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Fee, Transitional Reinsurance Fee (TRF), and Health Insurance Providers (HIP) Fee
- Spending Bill Extends PCORI Fee and Repeals Cadillac Tax, HIP Fee, and Medical Device Excise Tax
- Additional Policy and Regulatory Revisions in Response to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Interim Final Rules
Download the full Compliance Recap to learn more about
- Supreme Court Hears Oral Arguments on the ACA Case
- IRS Releases Updated PCORI Fee
- DOL Releases Final Rule on Financial Factors in Selecting Plan Investments
- IRS Releases Information Letter on Available Relief under IRS Notice 2020-29
- IRS Releases Information Letter on Unused Qualified Transportation Benefits Due to COVID-19
- CMS Releases Proposed 2022 Benefit Payment and Parameters Rule
- HHS Releases Annual Report to Congress on HIPAA Privacy, Security, and Breach Notification Rule Compliance
- IRS Issues FAQs on Qualified Health Plan Expenses for FFCRA Leave Tax Credits
- HHS Releases Two Drug Pricing Rules Regarding Medicare Drug Pricing
- Question of the Month
The UBA Compliance Advisors help you to stay up to date on regulatory changes to help simplify your job and mitigate compliance risk.
This information is general and is provided for educational purposes only. It reflects UBA's understanding of the available guidance as of the date shown and is subject to change. It is not intended to provide legal advice. You should not act on this information without consulting legal counsel or other knowledgeable advisors.