Tuesday, April 13, 2021
2:00 p.m. Eastern
Whether an employer is participating in a multiple employer welfare arrangement (MEWA) and to what extent state laws will apply to the arrangement is often a source of confusion for employers. Employers often work with professional employer organizations (PEOs) without understanding the effect it can have on group health plan compliance.
This webinar will help employers understand when a MEWA has been created and will provide an overview of important compliance considerations when a MEWA is created and when an employer is leaving a MEWA.
This webinar will:
- Describe what MEWAs are and why employers use MEWAs
- Provide an overview to determine when there is an ERISA plan at the MEWA level or participating employer level
- Provide an overview of association health plans (AHPs) including the difference between pathway one and pathway two AHPs
- Describe how an ERISA plan at the MEWA level or participating employer level affects compliance requirements (such as Form 5500/M-1 filing, COBRA, and the extent that state regulation will apply)
- Describe what PEOs are and how they can create an inadvertent MEWA with recipient employers
- Provide considerations and strategies for employers wanting to leave a PEO or MEWA arrangement
This 60-minute intermediate level webinar will provide employers with an overview of MEWAs and how they can be inadvertently created when working with a PEO. The webinar will also offer considerations and strategies for employers that are think of leaving a MEWA.
The presentation will be posted on the UBA website the afternoon before the webinar.
Lorie Maring is a partner in the Atlanta office and a member of the Employee Benefits Practice Group. She has extensive experience in all areas of employee benefits, including health and welfare programs, qualified and non-qualified retirement plans and executive compensation. She routinely advises employers, including non-profit and government employers, trade associations and employee benefit insurance and risk management consultants on the complex compliance and day-to-day issues arising under ERISA and other state and federal laws governing employee benefit plans and programs.
Registering for the Webinar
Since this program is conducted in partnership with a leading national firm, you will note there is a charge for attendance. So, two options: you may RSVP directly to us and watch from our offices at no charge. Or, to view at your location, use our Priority Code: UBA613 for discounted access.
United Benefit Advisors® (UBA) is the nation's leading independent employee benefits advisory organization with more than 200 Partner offices in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. Learn more at www.UBAbenefits.com.