Tuesday, May 11, 2021
2:00 p.m. Eastern
The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) was amended by the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021. The MHPAEA generally applies to group health plans and health insurance issuers that provide coverage for either mental health or substance use disorder (MH/SUD) benefits as well as medical/surgical benefits.
The purpose of the MHPAEA is to ensure that plans and issuers treat MH/SUD benefits the same as major medical benefits by not imposing restrictions on MH/SUD benefits that do not apply to other benefits.
This webinar will cover:
- Comparative analysis required under the MHPAEA between MH/SUD and major medical benefits and the written report requirement.
- Best practices for responding to an agency request for MH/SUD and major medical comparative analysis and agency challenges to the information.
- The Department of Labor MHPAEA Compliance Tool that can be used to determine whether the MH/SUD benefits have parity with major medical benefits.
- Participant disclosure of parity information and delegating responsibility for disclosure to third parties.
- Enforcement actions and possible penalties for violations of the MHPAEA.
This 60-minute intermediate level webinar will help employers understand how to ensure there is parity between mental health and substance use disorder benefits and other major medical benefits.
The presentation will be posted on the UBA website the afternoon before the webinar.
Please register here.
Lorie Maring is a partner in the Atlanta office and a member of the Employee Benefits Practice Group. She has extensive experience in all areas of employee benefits, including health and welfare programs, qualified and non-qualified retirement plans and executive compensation. She routinely advises employers, including non-profit and government employers, trade associations and employee benefit insurance and risk management consultants on the complex compliance and day-to-day issues arising under ERISA and other state and federal laws governing employee benefit plans and programs.
Registering for the Webinar
Since this program is conducted in partnership with a leading national firm, you will note there is a charge for attendance. So, two options: you may RSVP directly to us and watch from our offices at no charge. Or, to view at your location, use our Priority Code: UBA613 for discounted access.
United Benefit Advisors® (UBA) is the nation's leading independent employee benefits advisory organization with more than 200 Partner offices in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.